Thursday, August 6, 2015

Bye Felicia

"It began to strike me how awful it was to use that word as an insult, so I stopped." Laura Parrot Perry. 


I've heard the phrase "Bye Felicia" used by so many people lately. It sounded funny to me so I began to use it myself. But for some reason it just didn't feel right to me so I turned to my faithful, all-knowing Google guru to find out it's true meaning. 

What my eyes saw made my stomach turn. 

Bye Felicia means that "you have such little significance that you don't even have a real name. It means that your presence is completely irrelevant and we could care less of your coming or going." 

It really hit home as I watched a live Periscope, of a group of church folks doing a teaching on it. Now you can see other individuals comment, so a gentleman chimes in and says, "The bible is false," along with a few other comments. Of course the church folks began to defend their beloved bible, throwing in the occasional, "We love you and we'll be praying for you," as if this poor soul had it so wrong. Then all of a sudden another long time church goer pipes in with "Bye Felicia!" I was sickened because I knew what it meant when they basically told this young gentleman, "Goodbye, good riddance. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out." Ugh. My heart sunk. I immediately felt compassion for this person and even tried to look up his screen name but my memory failed me. I wanted to reach out to him and tell him, "You really do have significance! You truly are loved! And it's okay that you think the bible is false. It's really okay! We can be friends and laugh and I'll love you exactly as you are!" 

Oh, I just wanna slap those religious folks upside the head tell them, "We've got to get it right folks!"