Friday, January 8, 2016

Finding Rest

I'm sitting here recouping from a migraine.  The kind of migraine that fogs up your brain, makes your eyesight a little fuzzy, and last but not least, brings you unrelenting pain.

Not fun at all.  As a matter of fact, it started coming on last night, causing a domino effect, to which I then canceled my breakfast plans with a friend.

So here I am, sitting in my chair, no lights on, but my curtains open, fighting the thought of closing them because even the natural light hurts my eyes. I'm trying my best to rest but I'm so distracted by hunger pains-so I eat, spilling cinnamon sugar all over my yoga pants AND the rocking chair I'm trying to rest in.  

All the while, roaming Pinterest, scrolling Facebook, saving inspirational quotes, reading up on the many different blogs I signed up to follow, so therefore I'm obligated to follow them.

Not really doing a whole lot of resting now am I?  Maybe from physical exertion but there's a lot of brain activity going on and since I have a migraine, it's obvious that's where I need the rest!  

Then a song comes to mind called 'Come to me.'  It's based off Matthew 11:28-30.  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  

Usually that's how the Holy Spirit gets my attention, through songs.  

I'm horrible at staying consistent with praying and reading the Word but if He can get my attention through a song then it sparks the desire to seek out the message behind it.  Jeremiah 33:3 says, "Call upon me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."  How great is that?!!! 

Oh He's clever.  Not deceptively clever but like a carrot that's dangled in front of the horse to get it to move kind of clever.  He knows just what language that moves our hearts.  For me, it's in a song.  Since I'm not very good at the 'calling' out part, maybe, just maybe, He even helps in that department.  Romans 8:26-27 says, "...the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.  And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will."  

Some people may think God doesn't do things like that but I say God can do anything He wants.  He even is able to catch my attention through a song.  I'm reminded of Zephaniah 3:17, "The Lord Your God is with you, He is mighty to save, He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."  

SO yeah, I think God can speak to me through singing.  In fact He Himself does the singing!  Amazing.  What love!  I've overwhelmed by His love even as I type this.  He IS with me.  I feel as if I'm not worthy of saving, BUT He tells me that I am!  And that He delights in me.  ME!  The one who fell flat on my face and blew up my life.  But even in blowing things up, He still hasn't given up on me.  He's my loving Father who embraces me...He quiets me with His love...ugh...How can He though?  But He does.  This is what He wanted to remind me of today.  This is the rest He wanted to give me.  

So in all my surfing of the web, "trying" to rest, I wasn't able to find it there.  Oh there's some good things to read on Facebook or Pinterest, or even inspiring blogs.  But I can't find the rest Jesus is talking about in those places.  I can't find it anywhere but in Him...His Word.  He wants to tell me great an unsearchable things I didn't know.  He wants to whisper them to me.  He even wants to sing them to me.

Ya know life isn't so different than when Jesus walked this earth.  People had burdens then just as they do now and they found themselves weary because of them.  Whether those burdens were self induced or placed upon them by another, it doesn't matter.  'Cause when we come...Oh let me tell you...When we come... 

However, we must come not just to anyone or anything, but to Him.  Jesus.  He says, "Come Julie, come."  And He will give You rest.  You as in the one that comes.  He offers it.  I just need to take it.  What do I have to lose?  The benefits outweigh the cost of not taking it.

Here are the added benefits:

His yoke.  Not someone else's.  But His yoke.  And He says I get to learn from Him.  With the reassurance of His gentleness, it's unlike any that I've ever encountered.  With the bonus that He's humble in heart.  And in my coming and taking from Him...that's when I'll find rest for my soul.

But He brings up the yoke thing again.  He says it's easy and light.  Come on now?  You mean to tell me this isn't the kind that burdens me down or oppresses me but it's light as a feather, floating on a cloud kind of yoke? (At least that's what I'm imagining).  Hmmm only ever heard of burdensome yokes.  Yokes that lock on your neck and it says 'till death do us part,' the kind that imprison you.  Now that's what I'm used to.  But this.  This sounds different.  How could I not believe Him?  I wanna believe Him.  Should I try?  I think I'm gonna go for it.  

So how 'bout it?  Are you weary and burdened by life's mess?  Or is your body simply telling you you're doing too much?  The invitation is for "All you who are weary and burdened."  I think every single one of us fits into that category.  All you have to do is come...then it's up for the taking.  

And then, then may you find rest.  The deep down at the bottom of your being kind of soul, the kind that may have been dashed to pieces but He knows exactly where all those pieces are and where they belong and how to put them back together.  So just come. 


But be forewarned...You might just hear a song to lure you. ;) 




Love and Peace to you,
Julie