Sunday, June 5, 2016

Stirring the pot

Ya ever post something on Facebook that really stirs people the wrong way? 

Well I did the other day. But I certainly didn't mean to. 

There seemed to be such a divided response, and I'm okay with that. I love to hear people's different perspectives, so I welcome it.

So let me tell you what I shared. 

"I ran into an old pastor of ours the other day. I said, "Hi!" like I was super excited to see them after all these years. 
They looked at me, said a quick "Hello," and put their head down.
This is exactly why people get hurt by "the church."
I wanted to clap my hands and shout, "Pastor," in a sarcastic way.
WE REPRESENT CHRIST FOLKS! Represent Him well.'

My comment section was so blown up I felt like I had to explain myself in another post. Ugh. 

"Since there was so much discussion on the post about me running into the pastor, I decided to clear some things up.
I wasn't trying to shame this pastor, as I didn't give out the name. Not my intention at all. 
I've been under many pastors over the years. 
But since I recently had a discussion with someone over church hurts, that was based on a meme I saw and disagreed with. (I'll post it in the comment section.)
I was just saying We as Christians should do better in the mundane, such as running into people rather than all show from the pulpit. Cause that's not genuine.
I am on a journey myself and this isn't a pointing the finger at "them" but as "Us," the body of Christ, being representatives of Him and His grace and mercy.
And btw, I love all the dialogue, hearing everyone's perspective.
Much love to you all." 

Here's the meme I was talking about. 


I just honestly don't feel like being hurt by "the Church" has ANYTHING to do with your faith.

We are the church. Us as individuals, we are the church. Representatives of Jesus Christ. Ambassadors of God the Father. If we're hurt by the church it's because the church (made up of individuals) wasn't loving like Jesus. But on the other hand if we are hurt by the church then we're also not loving like Jesus. It's two-sided. 

I've just been doing a lot of people watching these days, as I've been doing my own self evaluation, and I certainly know I don't get it right all the time. I mess up daily. But I think as Christians we need to do better. 

One thing Christians are known for are being hypocrites. They preach one thing, yet do another. How in the world do we think people would want to become a Christian, OR come back to Him, if they can't SEE with their own eyes that we aren't loving to them or each other. 

My hub and I were talking about this incident and he said, "This is exactly why I don't like to say hi to people because they usually don't respond or aren't friendly. And it hurts when they don't."

And it's true, it does hurt. But because I verbalize that it hurts I get blasted? That doesn't make sense either. 


Here's the thing, I am a Christian. But I don't wanna be known for being a judgmental jerk. I wanna be known for radically loving people. 

So here's what I did, I reached out to them, not bringing up that I felt slighted, but let them know I was thinking of them and praying for them. I'd be great to get a response but if they don't they don't. 

Have you ever felt slighted by someone in leadership, or even someone you looked up to in the church? I'd love to hear your story. Let's lean on each other know we aren't alone. 
Let me know in the comments.

Love and Peace,
Julie