Thursday, August 18, 2016

Nothing's Wasted

A little disclaimer on this one, I wrote this one back in May.

Over the spring, I was invited to be a guest Blogger for a website and through a get to known me session they found out that I had read almost all of Rob Bell's books. They asked if I could choose one that was my favorite, which would it be. I chose Drops Like Stars.

Well I found out earlier in the day that they were focusing on another project and unfortunately had to put their website ideas on hold for an indefinite amount of time.

But hey, c'este la vie! Such is life.

So just to reassure you all, I'm no speed racer when it comes to reading, since I just posted yesterday about Finding God in the Ruins.

Get ready to learn about another amazing book!

Last year was not the greatest.  

Emotionally, I felt like I had been pummeled to the ground.

My dear friend Sue suggested we read a book together called Drops Like Stars. 


Now I had been listening to Rob on his weekly podcasts...yet it’s called robcasts.  Funny, quirky, catchy. Love it!

This was of course recommended by my same friend.  

Listening to his robcast gave me the language for my wounded heart.   

I listened to every single one that touched on suffering. Because that’s in fact on how I felt, like I was suffering, grieving, losing, and all the above.   

After agreeing to read Drops Like Stars, we decided to read a chapter at a time and share truths that touched us personally.  

Once I began it was like an insatiable thirst that could not be quenched.   

I simply could not put it down.  

The solace I felt reading each word touched my soul. It felt as if my pain was being validated with every line.  

Now the book starts out letting the reader know that sometimes in life things don’t always go the way we planned.  

Hence my life in a nutshell.  

We don’t always get the Hollywood ending. Tragedies happen. We make poor choices or maybe someone else in our lives has made a poor choice that impacts us.  

Impacts us greatly.  

THIS is what jumped off the pages…  


“Some things never get resolved.”  

  

That was it!

Life doesn’t always pan out like we planned.  

How freaking validating is that?!!   

Well at least it was for me. 
It meant Someone else understood the deep agony my heart felt…no matter how that ache got there.   


Drops Like Stars speaks to ANYONE who has had a twinge of pain in their lives.  



Rob shares this MIND BLOWING truth…I can hardly stand it, it’s so great!  

He says, “Now it’s absolutely necessary for us to own and name and claim and make amends for our failures and mistakes and sins and wrongs where others are concerned.

But to stop there is tragic.
It isn’t just a failure, a mistake, a sin, a wrong…
It’s also an opportunity to grow, expand, evolve, learn.”
Isn’t that magical?!?!

See this book isn’t just about suffering, loss, or failure but it’s about taking that pain and re-using it…kinda like cow patties.  

*Gosh seems like such an OFFENSIVE image but I like it.

I like it cause it fits.  When we fall or screw-up or make a huge mess of things, that’s how you feel, like a big pile of shisky.  My nice, made-up word for…well you know. 

But the ONLY way we get manure, the stinky stuff that makes gardens grow into lush, healthy, plentiful, producing gardens, is what’s originally considered as waste.

See… God wastes nothing.



Something beautiful. 
‘Cause it’s deep in you now. It’s apart of your DNA.  

“So in the end every major disaster, every tiny error, every wrong turning, every fragment of discarded clay, all the blood, sweat and tears-everything has meaning. I give it meaning. I reuse, reshape, recast all that goes wrong so that in the end nothing is wasted and nothing is without significance and nothing ceases to be precious to me.”

This is good news for those of us feel like our lives are a swirly-churly mess.  
*Cough-mine.
Your heart is the ground that’s been toiled and broken and I can’t wait to see the beauty that springs forth.

AGH! I wish you could just know what I’ve read already because it’s beautiful and raw and authentic and it gives hope…hope for a brighter tomorrow.

It's been nearly a year since I originally read this book, this side of it, my life, I can see little buds beginning to grow.  

But I couldn’t have gotten here without you. You came along side of me and said, “Me too.”

So no matter where you are at in this journey, remember this, you are not alone. 

Love and Peace,
Julie Dixon