Thursday, November 17, 2016

Getting Off Course is Sometimes a Good Thing

Christmas is coming up fast.
I mean it's pretty much here already with ads abound and decorations galore.
Thanksgiving is just the gateway to Christmas anymore.

Didn't really mean for all that to rhyme but hey, ya gotta take it as a gift. Kinda like Christmas. ;)

So we've been feeling the squeeze of holiday pressure, not to mention regular living, bills, teenagers, eating out, eating in, gas to and from work, husband works as much OT as possible but it never seems enough.

He's tired. I'm tired. We're in our forties and should be retiring in ten years or so. It would of course be him retiring, as I'm a stay at home Do Everything Else person. I don't really like the term "stay at home mom or wife" because life entails oh so much more than just staying at home and eating bonbons. I cook, clean, do laundry, manage our finances, make necessary phone calls, run errands, home-school our daughter, and take grandkids when asked. I also help my ailing mother when needed-such as take her to appointments, run errands, mediate between her and my sister, what any good daughter would do.

I'm also a wanna be writer, blogger, that sometimes takes up way too much of my time but I needed a place where I could be as real as I could get without feeling judged (and maybe I secretly am just don't know it).

Being real takes vulnerability and vulnerability exposes your weaknesses. And when I feel exposed I just wanna run and hide and quickly cover-up.

I feel I'm so guarded with the rest of my life, mainly friendships, so here in this space I pretend we're friends and I can share whatever's on my heart (The good, the bad, and the ugly) and you'll love me no matter what.

A girl can dream can't she?

Speaking of dreaming, sometimes when I'm watching a reality tv on E! or HGTV I ask out loud, "Where do they get all their money?" It absolutely boggles my mind. It's either old money or new money, but they're able to go and do things and buy things that I can't.

I've been thinking about getting a Christmas job. I haven't worked outside the home in about a year and a half but with my back being so bad (herniated disc), I can't stand or sit like a normal person. Even going to Walmart, or last night we went to Lowe's to look for carpet, within 15 mins my back, hip and leg was killing me. I feel a little hopeless. I mean what the frick, I'm only 45 years old. Am I gonna be crippled by the time I'm 50? I don't want to confess that over myself but it's definitely frustrating.

I've gone online the last few mornings and googled "Work from home." There are some doozy's out there.

The Krazy Coupon Lady posted this: 29 Legit Qays for Stay-at-Home Moms to Earn Money From Home. But I'm somewhat paranoid that they aren't legit, even though the Krazy Coupon Lady endorses them.

Then I upped the ante and decided to google "From Broke to Billionaire." There actually was quite a few posts out there.

I was quite impressed with Sara Blakely, the Billionaire Spanx lady. She came up with the idea while getting ready to go out one evening. But it wasn't necessarily a new idea, cause women have been trying to squeeze their "goods" in all the way back to the 16th century. Sara just came up with a new way to package it. CNN Money shared her story from rags to riches and it was very encouraging.

Tony Robbins was another inspiring story. Here Forbes tells of his journey from broke to rich all from investments.

In 2014, Inc.com shared 5 Incredible People Who Went From Broke to Billionaire. Oprah is happens to be this one and who doesn't love to read about Oprah.

Sounds like I just need to get a really great idea and invent something or come up with something that people feel that just HAVE TO HAVE and can't live without. Sort of like Kylie Jenner's makeup line.

But since I don't have the Kardashian/Jenner name...Hey maybe that's something to think about, I could change my name to theirs.

Here's what the headlines would say,

"Long lost cousin of Kardashian/Jenner clan"

Julie Jenner
or...
Julie Kardashian
Julie K for short. Now that's gotta good ring to it.

Ah who am I kidding? I'd be known as a fraud trying to benefit from their famous name. Guess I can't go that route.

My father wasn't a successful businessman. He worked at General Motors as the Pay Master. It was a great job but he was never good with money. He always blew it. He bought stupid expensive things and lived pay check to pay check. Guess I'm following in his footsteps. And the realization of that sucks.

But I don't want to anymore. Like I said I'm tired. Living this way is exhausting, being stressed out all the time. And I don't wanna do no Mary Kay, Amway, IT Works, Candle Party, Essential Oil marketing BS. I've been there, done that, tried it all. The ONLY people making the money are the ones at the top with you buying their $100 starter kit.

Here's one inspiring story that's closer to home. I know him as Pastor Terry. He was the children's pastor at our old church. He had such a love for children and was one of the reasons we decided to stay at that church. I had the honor of serving under him in the children's ministry, Gap ministry and Backyard ministry. The children's ministry serviced the church kids on Wednesday and Sunday and the Gap and Barkyard ministry reached out to the kids less fortunate. They weren't as well behaved, broke things, and honestly, didn't smell very good. They brought dirt in from the outside. And although we tried to clean up after a Friday night Gap service it was never clean enough for some regular church attenders. You could say the Gap ministry was his passion and Sunday ministry was his job.

Things didn't turn out so peachy for him there. He needed surgery and would be on the mend for a couple months. Unbeknownst to him the head pastor decided to replace him. It went down bad. Pastor Terry was blind sided. Pastoring was his whole life. It's what he lived for.

Now you're probably wondering how is this inspiring? I'm getting to it.

Well Pastor Terry was also a gifted craftsman. He could create the most beautiful woodwork you'd ever seen. And he poured himself in that work. After months of just making bird houses he decided to go out on a limb and started his own business. This year alone he's made 6 figures.

The angst he went through thrusted him into plan B.

Sara Blakely says it like this, "Failure is life's way of nudging you and letting you know you're off course."

Maybe I was off course. I didn't want to do anything else but serve in the church. I was behind 4 walls everyday, and although I was passionate about it, I couldn't see beyond it. One thing I know for sure, I would have never started blogging if my life hadn't turned upside down.

Maybe you feel you're off course too. Or maybe you're life is great as is. Either way, I'm going to pray for us that we'd see our set of circumstances with fresh eyes and a fresh heart, that we'd be open to a new path when life's thrown us a detour. Lord give us new hope and to trust the journey. Amen.

 Deuteronomy 8:18 says, "But remember the LORD your God, for it is He that gives you the power to produce wealth..."

Peace & an Immense Amount of Love,
Julie