Monday, November 14, 2016

Ridiculously Simple, WWJD

Most of you who's followed my blog knows I'm a Christian. Self admittedly not a very good one. But that's just because I'm measuring what my Christianity looks like in comparison to someone else's. Measuring isn't good. We don't have the proper perspective to measure accurately. We have a limited view. And God looks at the heart anyways. Reading IHop's FB post always makes me feel better, "Even though my prayers are weak, God hears them."

Anyhoo, I just want to say I love LBGT community. My beloved Aunt Judy was gay. I grew up around all her friends and partners before her tragic passing. My late cousin, Giovanni, was openly gay. He committed suicide some years ago. He was a recovering heroin addict and successfully clean for two years, but had developed hepatitis C and was very ill. Just before his death he found out he was in fact HIV positive, his bf broke up with him, the doctor told him he had to get rid of his cat and his room mate was moving out of their shared apartment. It was all too much for him. 

Another close family member was gay. My father. He left my mom in the late 70's to pursue a homosexual lifestyle. I remember one of the first times he took us over to his "friend's" apartment. Really the only thing I remember is our dog pooping on their floor. As kids, we thought it was funny. I'm sure they didn't. He and my mom did get back together. Their's is a very complicated love story. They married and divorced each other three times. Three marriages. Three divorces. Lots of chaos and instability for my sis and I in our growing years. I was a very sad little girl. Very insecure. But I loved my dad nonetheless. 

Two of my dearest friends are apart of the LBGT community. One considers herself Bi and the other considers herself Trans. They are some of the most loving, generous individuals I've had the pleasure of knowing. Really beautiful people. 

Let me just get down right honest though. I struggle with same-sex relationships. I do. I hang my head in shame because I love my family and friends that participate in this lifestyle. I love them period. No matter what. 

Here's where the struggle comes in and why. Since I'm a Christian I try and live my life by the bible. I've failed horribly at times. I wrote about it here

But in Romans chapter one Paul writes,
"God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their woman exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."
In Genesis 1:27-28, after God created male and female, He blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth..."

This is what confuses me about same-sex relationships, they cannot reproduce without the opposite sex. Now obviously we don't need to fill the earth because we're pretty much full. But even in the creation of our bodies, males and female parts fit together like puzzles. The reproductive parts. The sensual parts. The parts that remove two separate individuals into one being. And the two shall become one.

None of us would ever arrive on planet earth if it weren't for a female egg and a male sperm. Not one.

But maybe for me personally, it's also that little girl still grieving the separation of her mommy and daddy. My mom and dad separated more times than not. My dad moved in and out of the house so many times it made our heads spin. He always had his rental house to fall back on. Damn escape route.  The memories of the pain and heartache can almost still be felt 40some years later.

You're probably saying, "Get over it and move on!" And I can understand that. I think what triggered these emotions is from last night learning of one of my favorite authors just announced she's in a same-sex relationship. Then I'm like, "Oh so that's why you left your husband." Then I get all cynical until Jesus slaps me with the truth of His own mercy and grace towards me.

So to keep me level I fall back on, WWJD, What Would Jesus Do? Sounds ridiculously simple but it really gives the answers to these horribly hard questions.

So what would Jesus do? Exclude them? Shame them? Ostracize them? Beat them? Threaten them? Give them 50 lashes?

Absolutely, unequivocally none of the above.

The scripture I shared in Romans one follows up in chapter two with,
"You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgement on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because YOU WHO PASS JUDGEMENT DO THE SAME THINGS."
So many "Christians" think they're telling it like it is but it seriously does more harm than good. Like I said in this post, I will never leave you, be a good Christian and shut your mouth.

My good friend Sue says it like this, "I have to stay in my heart rather than my head. Otherwise, I'll go all Pharisee!"

Jesus showed us to do the opposite of what the Pharisees did. In the story of Zacchaeus, the woman caught in adultery, the Samaritan woman, the Lepers He healed, and the prodigal son that His arms are wide open for us and He accepts us just as we are. There's no condemnation just "go sin no more." But even that statement means something different than you think. I proposed non-conventional view of the phrase in this post, A Conversation With My Sis.

No matter what your personal beliefs are on this subject we all can rest in this, we all fall short of the glory of God but through the redemption of Christ, we are freely justified! Romans 3:23

Peace & Massive Amounts of Love,
Julie 

A curious side note: Why are we so obsessed with sex? And why do we care so much about who is having sex with whom?

If you have some answers to these ponderous questions, feel free to share your view.