Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Morning After

I stayed up until 4 a.m. last night. I was sitting on the edge of my seat watching the news coverage of the presidential race.

I know from experience, of past elections, it doesn't matter if someone is leading in the beginning. It can be snatched away at a moments notice.

Many of us are in a state of shock at the outcome. Nearly half of all Americans who voted to be exact. I know as a Christian I struggled with casting my vote for a man that the exuded arrogance from the get go. I felt he was mean, rude, and hurled insults with ease. We learned there many cases of him ripping off the small business owner, giving a fraction of what was owed to them, and then there was the derogatory speech in reference to women, and non-whites. It was "Us vs Them " mentality.

It truly has dumbfounded me how we could support such a candidate. But I know there were issues that he stood for that swayed the majority Christian vote. Abortion being one of them. Keeping tax-emption for churches. And ending the demand for pastor's to turn in their sermon notes are just a few of them. We can't forget all those hunters out there that wanted to ensure the 2nd Amendment, the right to bear arms.

He also promised to build a wall. A big wall. A wall that would keep "them" out.

He spokes words that gave a voice to millions of America who are afraid. Afraid to lose our country to those that are not American citizens and become not so free.

We've watched France lose their own country little by little, where entire areas are now considered "No-go zones." We also watched in horror the 80 innocent people killed in Nice, France celebrating Bastille Day. And in Brussels there was the bombing in the airport and metro station.

Could it be that when we see these attacks across the globe it conjures up images that brought terror to our land on 9-11?

Donald Trump offered to us Americans to protect this land and refuse to allow that to happen on his watch. Hillary on the other hand promised to allow an undetermined amount of immigrants to come in and that terrified a good majority of Americans.

It'll be interesting to see how his presidency turns out but no matter the way I feel about him he is now in fact our president elect. We must be committed to pray for him and his team. 2 Timothy 2:1-3 says, "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior..."

I know there those that are celebrating and those that are mourning. No matter who you voted for, it was your voice. I applaud you for speaking loud and clear.

My greatest hope is that Donald J. Trump hears your voice because there are a good number of Americans that are frightened and shaken and want to know more than anything he'll be our president as much as their president.

Finally, I gained some respect for him. As I was listening to his acceptance speech, in the early morning hours, I appreciated it as he respectfully spoke of Hillary and thanked her for her service to the our country. Very classy Trump, very classy. Thank you for that.

Hillary said something as equally noble, "Donald Trump is going to be our next president. We owe him an open mind and a chance to lead." She was composed and dignified even in light of her defeat. That is a class act right there.

I'll leave you with this, and in my opinion, this was THE MOST important thing he said in his speech, "Now it's time for us to bind the wounds of division and come together as one United people."

Let's commit to joining him in doing this.

Much Peace & Love,
Julie